Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Why not make it your self??

I think that it was probably last year when I started looking for recipes on line on how to make my own Fajita mix. You see I really like Fajitas but I don't really like the flavor of the store bought packages...plus it cost a little over $1.00 for a package that you can only use once.

Fajita mix

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. sugar
2-1/2 tsp. crushed chicken bouillon cube
1-1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. cumin

Preparation:
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour into small glass or plastic container, seal tightly and store in a cool, dry place. Makes the equivalent of 3 packets of commercial or purchased Fajita Seasoning Mix.

When ready to use add three tablespoons of the Fajita Seasoning Mix and 1/2 - 1 cups water (depending on how thick you like it). Reduce heat to low and simmer.

I did the pricing and figured to make this recipe the total cost is 0.50 when you buy your ingredients from the bulk barn. Since the recipe can be used 3 times that equals ~ 0.17 cents a serving!!! A savings from the $1.00 packages you buy for a one time use!!! Also when discussing this over with Micah we figured that we also know what is going into the mix which makes it healthier when we don't have all the extra additives in it!!

While looking for a Fajita recipe I came across this Taco one as well. I really liked it so now I use it as well. You can add more crushed hot peppers if you want it to be hotter!

Taco Seasoning

2 teaspoons instant minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon crushed red peppers
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin


Combine all ingredients together. Makes enough for one time use. When ready to use just add to meat mixture with 1/4-1/2 cup of water and let simmer. If mixture is too thick add 1/4 cup more water.

Let me know of any other convenience packages that you make!!

4 comments:

Stephen & Maria Weyman said...

Have you estimated how much the ingredients cost that you are putting into making your own mix? How much savings are we really talking here?

These sounds like great recipes by the way. I love fajitas and tacos! :D

Stephen

Micah and Katie said...

Hey Steve,

The trick is that it makes quite a bit. I can attest to the tastiness!

Micah and Katie said...

Stephen thanks so much for asking that question...silly me to put a post up like that with out sharing with everyone of the saving!!

I did the pricing and figured to make this recipe the total cost is 0.50 when you buy your ingredients from the bulk barn. Since the recipe can be used 3 times that equals ~ 0.17 cents a serving!!! A savings from the $1.00 packages you buy for a one time use!!! Also when discussing this over with Micah we figured that we also know what is going into the mix which makes it healthier when we don't have all the extra additives in it!!

Thanks for the great questions. I will try to remember to put my price saving in my post!! Thanks

Stephen & Maria Weyman said...

Cool thanks Katie. If you eat a lot of fajitas those savings could really add up ... are you listening Maria? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...