Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday Meal Plan


Another Monday here again and another week of yummy meals. Last week I was busy preparing peach and blueberry jam. I have to re-boil the blueberry jam because it didn't set. Its still pretty runny in the jar. I have found that I like to use my older frozen berries from last years batch to make my jam and use the newer ones for baking, eating and then freeze them of course for next years jam. The peach jam turned out fantastic and if I can pick up a basket for cheap this week I will be making another batch.

This past weekend I made french bread using a recipe I found. It turned out better then I was anticipating. Because it uses a lot of whole wheat flour I couldn't seem to get the dough to a good consistency. After much kneading I finally gave up and let it raise. It doubled nicely but I was only able to get 3 loafs out of it instead of 4.

So far with the bread I made homemade garlic bread last night to accompany our spaghetti feed.




Garlic Bread

1 16-ounce loaf of Italian bread or French bread
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 large cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
1 heaping tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Make the butter, garlic, parsley mixture as above. Make 1-inch thick slices into the bread, but do not go all the way through, just to the bottom crust. Put a teaspoon or two of the butter mixture between each slice. Wrap the bread in aluminum foil and heat for 15 minutes in the oven.

Another recipe I tried out with our french bread was Peach stuffed french toast. Below is the original recipe. I didn't make such a big batch because we are just a small family.

Stuffed Peach French Toast presented by Adventurers' Country Bed & Breakfast and Horse Motel

Ingredients:
1 - 1 lb.sliced french bread 1 inch thick
4 - Tablespoons peach preserves
1 - 8 oz. Pkg. Cream cheese, softened
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk or half & half
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Fresh peaches, powdered sugar, maple syrup

In blender, combine softened cream cheese and preserves. Make a pocket in sliced french bread and stuff each piece with 2 tablespoons of mixture. Place in single layer in large pan or dish. With wire whisk, combine eggs, milk sugar and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread, turning once. Do this carefully, so the bread will stay together. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 1/2 hour before cooking, so it will warm up. Grill, till brown, on both sides. Do not press down on bread while cooking. Slice fresh peaches and mix sugar, to your taste, to make a syrup. Toss gently. Serve each piece of toast with peach mixture and powdered sugar. Also good with maple syrup.

Serves 10.


This was such a delicious treat this morning. It was easy to do since you prepare it the night before. So all hubby had to do this morning was take it out of the refrigerator when he got up and slap them on the grill 30 minutes later. We enjoyed our french toast with some fresh peach and maple syrup. (Sorry there isn't any picture...they were so good we wanted to enjoy them hot and didn't want to wait to take a snap shot).

Now back to meal planning....

Last weeks menu got rearranged because we had an abundance of left overs in the fridge that I didn't want to see go to waste so we sadly traded in Mexican night for a left over buffet. We also didn't get around to making a chicken pizza either but I am still looking for a good BBQ chicken pizza recipe if anyone would like to share. So here is the plan for this week.

Monday: MexicanMesagna and salad

Tuesday: Baked beans and potato scallop

Wednesday: Pizza

Thursday: Left overs

Friday: BBQ chicken and couscous salad ( anyone have a great recipe)

Saturday: Away

Hey this week I will be doing a feature on my kitchen. I am calling it the Kitchen Make Over. I will posting on my new and improved kitchen (now that its organized) and giving tips on how to make your kitchen easy to use!

But for more great meal plans check out Organizing Junkie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the recipe for french bread. I may have to try that.

Jessica said...

Looking fwd to your zucchini cake recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...