Thursday, November 6, 2008

More Apple Treats

With the abundance of apples we still have from all our picking adventures I decided the other day that I need to start making more things. Apple butter was one recipe that I had not yet tried so I thought I would give it a go. Following a simple recipe I placed the peeled, cored and sliced apples into my crock pot to bake for the day. I don't really know what apple butter is suppose to taste like; it's a bit sweet but I think that it will be delicious on fresh biscuits.



This week I had to make snack for the Pregnancy Resource Center so with lots of pureed pumpkin in my fridge, that hadn't made it to the freezer yet, I decided to make Niki's pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe. I totally forgot until reading the recipe that it calls for 1/2 cup of apple butter (pretty sure apple sauce can be used as well).




The remains of the apples (peels, cores and seeds) were placed into a large pot to be boiled down for the juice. Instead of canning the juice this time I put it into the crock pot with some spices to make my first batch of apple cider.

Hot Apple Cider

8 cups apple juice or apple cider
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole cloves
2 allspice berries
1 whole nutmeg
1/2 orange peel, cut into strips
1/2 lemon peel, cut into strips

1. Pour apple juice into a large pot or crock pot.
2. Place spice into pot along with orange and lemon peels.
3. If cooking on the stove top bring to a boil and then reduce heat, or put into a crock pot on low or warm, to low to keep drink warm. If you are making in the crock pot, put on high for 2 hours to allow it to get hot. Then reduce heat to warm or low.


This recipe fills your house with a delicious aroma! Its so nice to be able to enjoy a hot drink on these cold nights.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I STILL have apples that I have to do something with. Thanks for the inspiration to get this done...when I get back. The original recipe called for oil I think but I sub. with apple butter and leave out the spices. This cookie is more of a cake texture but with no oil or butter it is an actual healthy treat as opposed to the regular (but still good) fattening cookie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...