Thursday, March 26, 2009

Stocking the Pantry

Having a stocked pantry that is well organized has really helped save me time when it comes to creating a grocery list and whipping together last minute meals and treats. Here are a few things that I keep on hand in my pantry.

1. A basket filled with extra baking supplies (you can tell from the picture I picked the basket up at the local dollar store). Here I keep extra sugar, brown sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder...you get the point.



2. The next basket I keep lots of extra canned goods. I have evaporated milk for my donair sauce, cream soups for my fast and frugal meals, tomato sauce and paste.

3. This next basket is great for keeping lots of homemade mixes. I have ready made flavored rice mixes, taco and fajita mix and then for those times when I want to whip something together fast but I have a baby crying and holding on for dear life to my leg I can simple throw all the drys in and just add the wets by reading the directions on the bottle. This is also good for days when I want hubby to whip something up; he just has to dump and add the wet!



Here are a list of great mixes to have on hand. Also any mix can be made in advance by just placing the dry ingredients all together in a reused glass jar.

Pancakes
Wafles
Corn bread
Cookies
Muffins
Brownies
Cakes

For more frugal ideas head on over to Life as Mom

4 comments:

Brooke said...

i use a taco seasoning mix and love it. but i'm on the hunt for a good one for chili

Frugal Sara said...

Great ideas. I haven't made my own seasonings but would love to look into doing so.

MoneySavinDiva said...

I LOVE your idea for having jars of mixes and seasonings premade in your pantry. This is absolutely brilliant!

MoneySavinDiva

Mom2fur said...

Isn't it great to be able to reach into your pantry for those things? I'm lucky in that my husband uses a protein powder drink that comes in a huge container. I clean them out and fill them with goodies like pancake or brownie mix.
Speaking of baking supplies, I'll tell you something that is NOT frugal: having a hole in the bottom of a five pound bag of sugar, and not realizing it until roughly two pounds have leaked all over the pantry shelf. Lesson learned: keep the sugar in another container!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...