Thursday, September 6, 2012

Homemade ice cream sandwiches





I probably should have posted about this recipe back when I made them but there is still technically 2 more weeks of summer right.  Well if you don't get to try them this summer make sure you pin them for next summer cause they are delicious!!!   I originally got the recipe from Annies Eats;  I didn't follow it to a tea because I bought the ice cream (it was on sale) but I did make the cookie and follow most of the directions. 

First you start out by mixing up the cookie dough

4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt


In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, vegetable oil and brown sugar.  Beat on medium speed until combined.  Blend in the eggs one at a time, and the vanilla extract until smooth.  In a separate bowl combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt; whisk to blend.  With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix just until incorporated and a soft dough forms.  Gather the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour.

After one hour you can preheat the oven to 350.  Line a baking sheet with Parchment paper (which you can buy at the dollar store).  Roll the dough out ( ~ 1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface.  Use any cookie cutter you want the shape of your sandwiches to be.  I used a rolled circle that I use for biscuits. Once you cut your circles transfer them onto the prepared baking sheet.  Gather and re-roll until your sheet is full.  



To make them look more like the originally ice cream sandwich use a skewer to make a dotted pattern on the cookies.  



Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack. 





Now the fun part to assemble your sandwiches.  I had bought Chapmans ice cream and it comes in block form like this, so I opened the box up carefully and starting cutting the ice cream 


When I sliced the ice cream it fell over like so and I used the same biscuit cutter to cut out the ice cream. 


Next I used a spatula to transfere the ice cream onto one cookie and then placed another cookie on the top and put onto a cookie sheet to be put into the freezer to freeze. 


Once frozen I wrapped them up individually with saran wrap and put back into the freezer. They were very delicious...tasted just like the real thing. 





1 comment:

MommaChelle said...

these look delish! ive never even thought of trying to make home made ice cream sandwiches! thanks! totally pinning this!
when you have time check out my blog, mommachelleblog.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...