Monday, September 17, 2012

Meatball sub




 

My husband loves meat ball subs.  When we first started dating (and in university) we would eat at Subway and he would always order the meatball sub.  I would always be poking at him that he wasn't getting any veggies on his sub and that it really wasn't a healthy option (that is the Dietitian in me).  So he would be funny and always order spinach with his sub.

Fast forward 9 years and here I am in my kitchen making my husband his first meatball sub from Kate's Creative Kitchen!  Since I have never made these before I did a quick search on pinterest and came across this recipe.


homemade meatballs

Ingredients:
1-2 pound ground beef
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 large eggs
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
splash of milk
olive oil
6 cups marinara sauce - more or less, as desired

directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine the meat, garlic, breadcrumbs, eggs, Parmesan, salt, a couple of grinds of pepper and a splash of milk. Mix together well with clean hands. Roll into 24 1 1/2-inch balls and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Place the baking sheet with the meatballs into the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to firm them up slightly.
2. To brown the meatballs, heat a couple of swirls of olive oil (about 2 tablespoons) in a heavy pot or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs, turning to brown all sides. They do not need to be cooked through.
3. Add the meatballs and marinara sauce to a large pot and stir gently. Heat over medium heat until the sauce begins to bubble. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring very gently a couple of times during simmering.
4. Serve meatballs and marinara stuffed into rolls with melted mozzarella cheese



 I served these with a delicious avocado salad.  I was so surprised that the kids each ate a 1/2 of a sub.  This meal will go on our meal plan again.




Hubby did look at me during supper and said.  "These are really good babe; the only thing missing is the spinach."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...